Thursday, December 30, 2010

Unbaked #4 - Christy's Cake Plates


I visited my good friend, Christy, about two weeks ago, and she shared with me her enthusiasm for cake plates!  She said "you HAVE to post these on your blog!"  So I am :)

The one pictured above is a candy dish that I "made".  I bought a glass candlestick holder and a glass candy dish from the Dollar Tree, and a two-part epoxy (specific for fusing glass) per Christy's recommendation.  I found the epoxy for around $4.00 at Wally-World in the hardware section.  I also found a similar epoxy in the craft section, but the Contractor's Daughter inside of me prefers stuff from the hardware section!  Then, all I did was put a thin film of epoxy around the rim of the candlestick holder and pressed the candy dish on top as centered as possible!  I let it sit for 24 hours and I had an elegant looking candy dish!  I did a few plates on top of goblets, and filled plates & dishes with homemade fudge, almond roca, and muffins as Christmas gifts.

Christy, as you might tell from her amazing, handcrafted jewelry, is into the vintage look.  She suggested going to the swap meet, yard sales, and antique stores for more appealing glassware.  I can't wait to go shopping with her to find some deals for future attempts at creating new from used!

1 comment: