Friday, December 3, 2010

Unbaked #1 - Magnet Letters & A Crocheted Hat

Magnet Letters include:
Vase Filler "Glass Gems"
Magnets
Hot Glue
Stickers 

While I love being in the kitchen, I also love making crafty things... hence the "unbaked" title.  I have seen the magnet letters given as shower gifts, and birthday presents.  Who really has too many magnets?  I mean, really?  These are so easy, and you can use just about any kind of paper or sticker.  I have yet to try it with a picture since I have a feeling the hot glue would melt the picture, but who knows until you try!  I found the bag of glass gems (A LOT for $4) and magnets (50 for $6-something) at Wal-Mart!  The stickers I used for the project above were on the $1 rack at Target.

TO  MAKE:
  1. Heat up that glue gun
  2. Center your sticker on your magnet & stick it down
  3. Put a generous glob of hot glue on top of your sticker
  4. Quickly press a glass gem over the top
  5. DONE!  Now, wasn't that too easy?!

Crochet Hat includes:
Navy Blue yarn
Sky Blue yarn
Boye Size K Crochet Hook
Patience...

I learned to crochet at the tender age of 7!  My great-grandma taught me how to use my finger as a crochet hook since I just couldn't seem to grasp the concept of using the actual hook.  After a while I got the hang of it and graduated to a real set of my very own multi-sized pack of hooks!  Even after many years of practice, I would by no means call myself an expert.  So, on that note, I will guide you to my favorite videos.  My mother-in-law shared the Lion Brand site with me when she was teaching me to knit, and it is now my go-to for help on anything yarn related!  My variation on this hat included a "Ch 80" to begin since 60 was too small, and on "Rnd 2" I only "Ch 3" instead of 4 to make my pattern complete.  The flower was a creation of my own based on a pattern a friend had, so here are some flowers that are similar.  Crochet is a time consuming, patience trying art, and I ripped my hat out about 8 times before actually completing it!


2 comments:

  1. I saved all the glass gems from my wedding and I have always planned to make magnets out of them someday. Nice project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I remember you saying that! You'll have to share pictures with me when you do it :)

    ReplyDelete