Saturday, January 1, 2011

My Favorite Chocolate Cake for 3 Occasions!



The picture does not do this cake justice (it always gets gobbled up before I can snap a good shot)!  I found this recipe in the September, 2008 edition of Gourmet Magazine and made it in December that year for my mother-in-law's birthday.  It was a risk for me because I'm a very visual person and there was not a corresponding picture when I found it toward the back of the mag.  Though, I could easily imagine the cake once I read over the recipe.  I've made it quite a few times in the last few years, and I made it for our New Year's Eve/friend's birthday/another friend's anniversary bash yesterday and it was a hit!  It's a very rich cake, and small pieces are advised with a dollop of whipped cream.  A word to the wise, there are 3 steps to making this cake and there is a waiting period between each step, so you might want to make the crust and the filling the day before, and then glaze it about an hour before you present it, but making it all the day of really tastes the best!  Enjoy...


The changes I made to accommodate my kitchen:


Buy one 11.5 ounce bag of Ghirardelli 60% cacao baking chips for the following - 


FOR THE FILLING -- change:  9 oz bittersweet chocolate (not more than 65% cacao if marked), chopped ---> 1 1/2 Cup Ghirardelli Chips


FOR THE GLAZE -- change: 1 3/4 oz bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped  --->  1/3 Cup Ghirardelli Chips


I also use a 9" springform pan and it works just fine!

2 comments:

  1. Yummy! Did you use your KitchenAid mixer??? If you say no, then you're just going to have to bring it up on Tuesday and give it to me! haha!

    Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No... But that's because I was using for the chocolate snowball cookies that I was making at the same time :) You won't get your hands on it yet! This will be the year of the KitchenAid AND the dutch oven, you'll see. Heehee...

    ReplyDelete