Monday, January 3, 2011

Unbaked #5 - Sewing! Aprons for Sisters

I have a super cute apron that I got as a wedding gift, and last year for Christmas I used it as a pattern to make a similar one for my sister.  This year I made another one for my new sister-in-law (pictured above)!

What I used:
1 yard of fabric
1 package of bias tape (3 yards)
1 spool of matching thread

What I did:
  1. I ironed my new fabric.
  2. I laid my apron over the new fabric.
  3. I pinned my apron to the new fabric to keep it from shifting.
  4. I cut around my apron (avoiding the straps on my apron so as not to cut them off).
  5. I unpinned my apron.
  6. I folded the new fabric in half to trim it up symmetrically.
  7. I cut new straps from remaining fabric and sewed them into tubes, then turned them inside out.
  8. I pinned the bias tape and straps onto the apron.
  9. I sewed the whole thing together.
The pockets on my sister's from last year were very time consuming and confusing.  To be honest, I'm not a great seamstress!  I did not have the time or patience this year to try to get them onto my sister-in-law's apron.  I think it turned out pretty well without them, and my mother-in-law (my sewing teacher & only reason I currently have possession of a [her] sewing machine) said "who needs pockets on an apron?"  I agreed.

This is my sister's from last year...


2 comments:

  1. Great job Betho! You can always make one for me....you know between school and spending time with the hubby!

    Can't wait to see you Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha... I'll get right on that! :)

    See ya manana!

    ReplyDelete