Thursday, January 6, 2011

A Whole Chicken, It's What's For Dinner!


I know I've mentioned before that my mixer is one of the appliances I fear in my kitchen, but my Crock-Pot is a very close second!  Since I'm apparently into facing my fears these days, I looked up a chicken recipe to try out in the ol' slow cooker (I have a feeling that I will become a frequent reader of this Crock-Pot blog).

My mom used to cook up whole chickens when I was young, and they were on sale for 77¢ per pound during my last shopping trip, so I thought I'd give it a shot.  Ooh, giblets for gravy!  Chicken gravy did not turn as tasty as turkey gravy, but it worked.  I also made a salad consisting of baby spinach, sliced tomatoes, sliced cucumbers, celery, goat cheese, and ranch dressing.  I sliced up some potatoes with the slicer that my grandma gave us for Christmas, and boiled them up to make mashed potatoes for the gravy.

It was a pretty yummy meal, and pretty inexpensive too.  I have leftover chicken for sandwiches now since a five pound bird is a little much for two people!

No comments:

Post a Comment