Monday, May 2, 2011

Sweet, but Not Too Sweet Scones


These scones are soooo easy to make!  Just make sure you have a stick of butter in the freezer at least a day in advance.  They can be as sweet, or not sweet, as you want them.  I use this awesome pan that my hubby's grandmother gave to me, and they turn out more evenly baked... but you don't need the pan :)  I used my pizza stone prior to owning the pan, and they turned out yummy then too!

Here are some tweaks:
Instead of 1/2 cup raisins, use: 1/4 cup white chocolate chips, 1/4 cup dried cranberries
or
With raisins, add 1/2 tsp cinnamon into the dry ingredients.

Since this recipe serves 8, I made them a little flatter for a brunch for my brother-in-laws wedding and used a small glass to cut them into circles.  Each batch made 12 scones instead of 8.  I topped them with icing and they were a hit!

White chocolate icing:  1/2 cup white chocolate chips; 1 Tbs milk.  Heat on low in a small saucepan until melted and smooth.  (Add more milk if needed)  Drizzle on top of cooled scones and allow to dry.
Cinnamon icing:  1/2 cup powdered sugar; 1 Tbs milk; 1/2 tsp cinnamon.  Mix ingredients in a small bowl with whisk until smooth.  Add more sugar or milk to obtain desired consistency.  Drizzle on top of cooled scones and allow to dry.

As you can imagine, these scones are so versatile, and I'm sure there are so many other goodies to put into them!  On Friday, I got to watch the Royal Wedding with my aunt and my cousin, and we made them plain and topped them with my aunt's home canned peach butter.  Matched with delicate china brimming with hot peach tea, these were a delectable treat.  The company was great too!

3 comments:

  1. I am DEFINITELY going to make these!! Yours look beautiful... I love cranberries! I wonder how they would be with some Orange zest too... might have to find out :o) Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look super yummy! I just made some lemon squares...from a box.

    I'm ashamed of myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lindsay, Orange Zest sounds wonderful!!! YUM! Love you too :)

    V, you should totally be ashamed of yourself! How dare you?! Haha...

    ReplyDelete