Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Ranch Dressing, Please, Heavy on the Dill!


We ran out of ranch dressing a while back...  And, well, I just did not have it in me to run to the store that evening when I discovered I was out!  Dinner was on plates and headed to the table.  So, I did what I always do, and that was type "ranch dressing recipe" into my little search engine.  To be honest, it probably would have been faster to throw on shoes and drive the two blocks to the grocery store, but I figured "why put on shoes when I probably have all the ingredients...?!"  Plus, the store is usually a zoo around dinner time.

I found this lady's delightful ranch dressing recipe, and used what I had in my fridge.  That's what she'd do anyway, right?  So here's what I used, and I totally didn't measure...  I just scooped ingredients into my dressing thingy until it looked right and mixed it up:

Mayonnaise
Sour Cream
Milk
Fresh Green Onions
Dill (I can't get enough of this stuff!)
Pepper, lots of pepper
Cayenne Pepper
Dried Oregano
Dried Parsley
Fresh Garlic (pressed)
Salt

I stirred it up and tasted it, and poured it over our dinner that fateful night.  The hubby liked it, and I haven't bought it at the store since!  It's probably better for us anyway, right?  The salad pictured above includes fresh spinach, red bell pepper, feta cheese, leftover BBQ tri-tip, and of course, the dressing sprinkled with fresh ground pepper.  I served it with peas, corn and sourdough garlic toast.  I got the spinach and peas from a friend who was going out of town and couldn't use them before she left.  She got them from a local farm, and I have to say, they were really tasty!  The peas were still in the shell, so I had to pop them out and boil them, and that was a fun new experience.  I'm excited to change this recipe around and try using some more of my basil, that some may begin to consider a short tree!

1 comment:

  1. That looks amazing, Bethany! I love light, summery meals! :)

    ReplyDelete