Friday, June 10, 2011

Basil, Tomato, & Mozzarella, Oh My!


I bought a basil plant at Trader Joe's a few weeks ago and it just loves my sunny kitchen window! So much so, that I'm actually running out of recipes for all those scrumptious leaves!

My hubby had a long day at work today so I thought I'd make this snack for his arrival home. It popped into my head while I was staring at my giant basil plant and contemplating what to do for my hubby to provide a calm home atmosphere... FOOD! A friend of mine made a similar arrangement when I went to her house one day, so I thought I'd try it out.
It's so simple, and very tasty on a summer evening: 3 Roma tomatoes, fresh mozzarella in water, and fresh basil. I sliced and layered them in the fun arrangement you see in the picture, drizzled them with balsamic vinegar and olive oil, and sprinkled the masterpiece with pepper and kosher salt.

On a side note...  My hubby bought me an iPhone for graduation, and I'm having so much fun taking pictures with it.  I tried posting this blog entry from my phone, but for some reason only the picture came through...  I'm still learning :)

2 comments:

  1. Looks so good. Have you tried making pesto? That's great one for the summer. :)

    Yay for getting an iPhone! Aren't they fun? My favorite camera apps are Shake It and Camera Bag. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been making lots of pesto! Thanks for reminding me, I need to post that recipe too :)

    I'll have to check out those apps. I am afraid the iPhone and I are inseparable!

    ReplyDelete